The Glen Cove Chamber of Commerce is proud to announce that their annual scholarship will now be named after Dr. Glenn Howard Jr. to keep his memory alive. The recent sudden passing of Dr. Howard has left the community profoundly saddened, as Glenn was a precious resource, advisor and liaison not only to the Chamber, but other local organizations as well. He was extremely active, well known and highly respected by all who knew him. In the Chamber, Glenn served on the board for decades, bringing an unmatched wealth of knowledge and leadership experience to the table. He was a tireless volunteer who was ever ready, willing and able to help out in any project or detail, because he always had something of real value to contribute. Glenn possessed extreme intellect, wit and wisdom that we welcomed and came to rely upon.
Education was very important to Dr. Howard and he became especially involved in administering the annual Chamber Scholarship. He enjoyed the privilege of reading the creative essays submitted by our high school seniors and having a voice in judging those essays. As joyful as it was for Glenn to pick winners, he always deeply lamented having to disqualify applicants who wrote good essays but simply didn't follow the instructions required for eligible applications. So, dear applicants, please be sure to follow the instructions for applying!
The board of Glen Cove Chamber of Commerce feels that the Dr. Glenn Howard, Jr Scholarship is a fitting way to perpetuate the legacy of our beloved Glenn while honoring students and helping them financially.
Please consider donating online using the form below or by check payable to:
Glen Cove Chamber of Commerce
Memo "Dr. Glenn Howard Jr. Scholarship""30a Glen Street - Suite 207, Glen Cove, NY 11542
100% of monies received will go into the scholarship fund. All amounts, large and small, will be gratefully accepted!
Dr Glenn Howard Jr Scholarship Application 2021
Submissions End April, 30th
"Having lived through a year of the COVID-19 pandemic, please share your thoughts on
what challenges might arise now and in the future for the business community.
Describe how a business might need to evolve to succeed in our changing economy."
• Applicant must be a Glen Cove resident. Provide current proof of residency.
• One letter of recommendation, from a guidance counselor, teacher, advisor, coach, employer, etc. (No Family Members Permitted)
• Cover letter: Briefly describe yourself, your achievements, extracurricular activities, community service activities, etc.
• Essay: Write an essay no less than 500 words on the following topic: (Be sure to entitle your essay.)
Having lived through a year of the COVID-19 pandemic, please share your thoughts on what challenges might arise now and in the future for the business community. Describe how a business might need to evolve to succeed in our changing economy.
• Video Submission: Make a one minute video introducing yourself, your future academic plans and aspirations, how this scholarship is going to help you, and any other relevant information you wish to communicate.
IMPORTANT - When you have completed your video, you can Direct Message the video to the Chamber on the following social networks or use a free file transfer service below to send large files.
Judges evaluating the video will use the following criteria:
• Does the video convey a sense of who you are to the judges?
• Does the video possess clear verbal skills, including diction and grammar?
Applicant Checklist :
• Completed Application Form
• Titled Essay
• Video Submission
• Cover Letter
• Proof of Glen Cove residency
• One letter of recommendation
The completed application and supplementary documentation must be attached as a PDF or Word document and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Failure to follow application instructions will disqualify the entry. Please be sure to follow the directions! Good luck!
If you have any questions, please call us at 516-676-6666 or email email@example.com
Help Fund The Dr. Glenn Howard Jr. Annual Scholarship By Making An Online Donation Below